I literally just started learning about color theory a few weeks ago so i may seem like a total noob about it. It was a good idea to use purple as a shadow, i really like it. Did you use yellow for the lighting also? I'm using this handy color scheme [link] to help choose colors for my painting, i'm so lost without it.
You're very welcome I've never painted with oils or acrylics, instead used watercolors, it's been a very long time since i painted. >v< After the contest, i'll give my watercolors a try again. I mostly use graphite and charcoal. I probably shouldn't have done this, but I took one of my watercolor brushes to blend my pencils instead of using tissue, stump, or tortillions. It doesn't damaging the paper as much.
I was told a long time ago by another fellow artist and professional never to blend with anything other than my pencils. That shows commitment and mastery of craft. I don't like the tissue system either because it sometimes created uncontrollable/unwanted results. I don't let my students blend that way in my class so that they will all learn first how to blend in a controlled intentional way. But I do get that for photo realism is can be necessary.
I love painting. I use acrylics but I water them down and use them like watercolor. I just layer them until they get that full color look. It's really easy that way so that I can see my drawing the whole time and not loose my lines under the paint. By the time those lines start to fade the paint is in the right spot already creating the shape and look.
Yes it does, it really is a very strong commitment. I like the papers texture when blended with a pencil too. I have a watercolor fan brush i only used to brush away the leftovers from the erasers, but I pushed the extra graphite around on my paper and about had a heart attack because the eyes were nearly ruined. I went over to a different piece of paper to experiment blending, and it just sort of felt right. I felt like i had a bit more control with blending with a brush too because it blended and pushed around the graphite evenly. it made the graphite have this unique look, almost airbrushed. it's hard to explain. I usually lay down the midtones with the brush and it also helps to darken and emphasize some lines like the jaw and nose without creating a hard line. I also keep a second piece of paper drawn with 8b pencil to load the brush for the eyes and lips.
That's really cool, I've never heard about layering with acrylics. That would be really awesome to see. I can't talk much about it, but I would love to know more of your thoughts.
yeah it works really easily too. But you do have to be careful as they look scratchy if you let it be too dry or they get really dark if you put too many layers on. I use a film canister and fill it about 80% water. Then I put pain in there for the other 20% mixing whatever colors I want. After dissolving the paint it gives you a watercolor type feel and work pattern. The nice things is that you can always add highlights at the end so you don't have to be so careful to avoid white areas.
Yeah, me too! I'm reading the books - in Danish though - so I do know a bit about what's going to happen And, me too, I don't have HBO... But, it's comming to Denmark - "my" place - in the month of June, I think, I just.. what was the date again.. ooh.. crap, don't remember it, but I think it's pretty soon, yaayyy!!
lol ty. Yeah i keep trying to make one, but everytime i skip too much of the process. I scan the pencil, the black, then i do shadows, and scan. but then I go nuts, and by the time i realize i forgot to scan again, im adding pencils so i usually miss the entire color process hahaha.